K-1/RVZ-6, K.A.Kalinin

16k b/w photo from the "History of aircraft construction in the USSR" by V.B.Shavrov, Vol.1 p.415

High
wing monoplane, first in the USSR had fuselage frame made of wielded steel tubes, without bracing wires. Front section covered with aluminum, tail (behind passenger section) - with fabric. Central section of the wing was included into fuselage structure. Project was approved for construction in May 1924.
Aircraft was built at RVZ-6 (Aircraft repair workshop) in Kyiv by team including D.L.Tomashevich, A.N.Gratsianskij, A.T.Rudenko starting September 1924. It was ready in September 1925, and aircraft was flown to Moscow for State Acceptance tests. At that moment obsolete 170hp Salmson engine was replaced by more advanced 240hp BMW-IV.
K-1 was found acceptable for service in the Civil Air Fleet, and it was decided to continue development of this type. K.A.Kalinin got for this purpose workshops of Ukrvozdukhput (Ukrainian Airways, literally), late renamed into GROS. This experimental enterprise will became a mass production factory in its time.
Sources:
  • "History of aircraft construction in the USSR" by V.B.Shavrov, Vol.1 p.415-416
  • Technical data
    Type K-1
    Function Passenger
    Year 1925
    Crew 1
    Engines 1*170hp Salmson
    Length 10.72m
    Wingspan 16.76m
    Wing area 40.0m2
    Empty weight 1452kg
    Loaded weight 1972kg
    Wing load 49.3kg/m2
    Power load 12.3kg/hp
    Maximum Speed (0m) 161km/h
    Cruise Speed 130km/h
    Landing Speed 70km/h
    Take off Roll 120m
    Landing Roll 180m
    Range 600km
    Ceiling 3000m
    Climb
    1000m 12.3min
    2000m 30min
    3000m 75min
    Payload
    Seats 3
    Load 330kg
    Modified May 25, 1997
    by Alexandre Savine;
    Back to
    Main Gate