Series production of the MBR-2 started on Taganrog State Aircraft Factory N031 (Named after G.Dimitrov)
in 1934. It differed from the TsKB-25 prototype
only by engine (BMW-VI replaced by domestic clone M-17).
About 1/3 of all 1365 built MBR-2 were of this modification.
MBR-2 was very easy to built and maintain. It proved also quite a seaworthy, capable to land and takeoff from waves up to 0.7m.
Reliable sturdy aircraft played large role in Great Patriotic War, being a major ASW aircraft of Soviet Naval aviation. Serving at all theaters, it
performed reconnaissance, bombing, escort and even air-to-air combat against Nazi bombers (while protecting convoys).
Retired MBR-2 with M-17 were used in civil service as MP-1T cargo
MBR-2 is a mixed construction (mostly wooden) flying boat with shoulder wing and pusher engine, installed on high struts above the wing.
Four-blade variable-pitch (???) propeller is a 'composite' of two standard 2-blade propellers (diameter 3.0m). Balance floats are
installed close to 1/2 of the wing span. Tailplane is installed on 1/2 of the fin. Aircraft is provided with dual controls (starboard
column is removable). For winter operation MBR-2 detachable skis may be installed. Some aircraft were actually built in amphibious configuration.
Protected fuel tanks are located in center wing section (2x330l). Two removable tanks (215l each) may be installed in the hull.
Armament included two TUR-6 open installations for 7.62mm DA, replaced later by
TUR-8 with ShKAS machineguns. Normal bomb load - 400kg. Installation of unguided
RS-82 was studied, but never became a production option.
Photoequipment is installed in the nose. Radio receiver and transmitter (in pilot's cockpit) is a standard option. All three (nose, pilot's
and rear) cockpits are connected by ship-style voice pipes.
38k MBR-2 powerplant and rear gunner position (machinegun not installed),
"Sowieckie lotnictwo MORSKIE 1941-1945", p12